Sweetbriar Dreams

So where shall we go on our journey today?

Friday 27 July 2012

A Summer's Day in Hunstanton, Norfolk

The sun has finally made it through the clouds and it has been a glorious week so far.  A little too hot for my liking and with the sticky nights that British heat tends to offer, not much sleep either!  But, it looks as though the Olympics opening ceremony will be dry.  I used to live near Stratford in East London so to me the area looks so alien and I wonder if the community spirit will continue once the Olympics are over.

I have taken a couple of days away from work this week so the first day was dealing with the chaos of my home now that the kids have had a couple of days off.  So after a hard first day and with the house looking clean and fresh we decided to take a bus trip to Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast.  Its nickname is 'Sunny Hunny' and usually when we visit it doesn't live up to its name but today it certainly did!  Usually we do this by car but I fancied a change and also it teaches the kids how to get out and about on their own.  We boarded the bus and went on a two hour (!) journey through beautiful villages and grey skies, but as soon as we got to Sunny Hunny, the cloud broke and, at last, a beautiful beach day!
Not just on the beach...the water sports were in full swing...
The Wash Monster was very busy.  This was manufactured in 1967 and was used by the US Forces to land in Vietnam.  Once you get out to sea you then meet up with another boat and then go on to see the seals further out.

 It then drives up onto the sand to pick up more passengers.  But look, sand and colourful windbreaks!

Then there are the pony rides...my two feel that they are too old to be seen to be doing this anymore, but it did look tempting...

 Look at this, ponies, sand, sea, swimmers, water sports - what is going on!!  Is it summer??!!

 Then there are the rides around the town... 
And then the fairground...
The colours are so beautiful and vibrant against a blue sky, rather than grey!

Luke and hubby then went off to swim in the sea whilst me, Bex and Mumsy went to our favourite...the 2p machine arcade...

...and here is the booty I won...

Don't ask how much we spent on getting these 'treasures'!

But then, all things have to come to end, so it was time to get some momentos and say goodbye to the beach until the next time...
Get back on the bus and drive past the wonder of Norfolk Lavender, somewhere I am yet to visit but the smells of lavender and the gorgeousness of the purple fields brings something beautiful to the senses.
As soon as we got home, it was time for a drink and to put up my little momento of my trip on my favourite window, a beautiful white wicker heart to hang against the blind.  I know, should be shells etc, but I fell in love with this as soon as I saw it in the shop. 
 
And now, after a very lovely family day, it is time to sit back and catch some of the Olympic Opening Ceremony...but just a little more hooky first!  I love the blanket I am working on, even though the warm evenings are making it a little bit too warm.  And I love my pergola in the garden when I have the tealights on.  The stillness of the night and candlelight is so relaxing and allows me time to reflect (the ladder is there as Luke sits on the top which is covered by jasmine, figs and a vine - his quiet space!).
Have a good weekend x

1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting, I love reading your comments and will answer either by email or on the blog. You can also email me privately in my side bar. Have a great day x

Other Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...